Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Fruit

Jesus said to his disciples, ‘Beware of false prophets who come to you disguised as sheep but underneath are ravenous wolves. You will be able to tell them by their fruits.'
Mt.7:15

Jesus is drawing His Sermon on the Mount to a close with a series of warnings. He emphasises the need to look out for those who appear to be harmless but who in fact are deadly dangerous.

Jesus has proclaimed a universal law of nature here; Fruits identify the tree. This is as true in the world of man as in the world of nature. Jesus repeats His warning of "Wolf in Sheep's clothing", emphasising how this is not an uncommon danger.

There is another way to look at this verse. What are my fruits? Do I produce grapes and figs or thorns and thistles? Am I life-giving or life-taking? In honesty I would have to say a bit of both, and some times I'm simply a desert producing nothing at all. The inference Jesus gives here is that fruit needs to be produced. I need to make sure my fruit is succulent and life-giving to those around me.

Jesus my friend, You know how my selfishness can sour my fruit, or even make it wither and die. Please help cultivate in me a healthy life of love that produces fruit worthy of a follower of Yours.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: