Wednesday, June 8, 2011

In But Not Of

I passed your word on to them, and the world hated them, because they belong to the world no more than I belong to the world. I am not asking you to remove them from the world, but to protect them from the evil one.
Jn.17:14,15


Jesus is praying His great priestly prayer for His disciples, and for me, before His passion and death. His prayer includes a summary of what He has done and then a powerful intercession for protection.

Jesus highlights the tension that is the life of a Believer.  We are in the world but not of the world.  The world is not simply indifferent to us, it hates us.  Yet, in response we are called to love the world as Jesus does and call it into the fullness of His life. In my day today, I am called to respond to the world's hatred with love.  I am not meant to live in a Christian bubble but to be salt and light.  This is a difficult thing, impossible even, unless I receive the help of the Holy Spirit.

Holy Spirit of God, You know how the world can seduce me, how I can get caught up in its desires and temptations.  Help me be in the world but not of it.  Help me love the world into God's kingdom, starting with those I meet  today.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: