Sunday, June 26, 2011

Pilar of Fire

Solemnity - Corpus Christi

He humbled you, he made you feel hunger, he fed you with manna which neither you nor your fathers had known, to make you understand that man does not live on bread alone but that man lives on everything that comes from the mouth of the Lord.
Dt.8:3

On this Solemnity of the Body and Blood of Christ the Church takes us back to the time of the great Exodus from Egypt.  Moses is about to hand over leadership to Joshua who will lead the people into the promised land of Cana. He is summarisng the history of the Chosen People, here reminding them how God provided for them in the desert. Jesus in today's Gospel reminds me that the bread He offers in the Eucharist feeds more than my physical body, it brings me eternal life.

Our priest at Mass this morning, Father Graham Alexander, gave an interesting lesson from today's first reading.  He pointed out that even though the people had God with them in the desert as evidenced by the pillar of smoke by day and fire by night, they still lost sight of Him and complained to Moses, demanding to be fed with manna .  Father said a modern day similarity is created when we ignore God during the week and try to "tank up" on Him on Sundays at Mass.  Jesus taught the disciples how to pray before He instituted the Eucharist.  We need to have daily personal prayer with God during the week.  Then the Eucharist can be received and it's life-giving power released.  Food for thought on this Solemnity of Corpus Christi...

Jesus my Lord.  You know how easily I get distracted from you outside of Mass.  Help me bring my mind into captivity to You in daily prayer.  Then I may worthily receive Your precious Body and Blood.

Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: