Saturday, June 18, 2011

Strength


My grace is enough for you: my power is at its best in weakness.’ So I shall be very happy to make my weaknesses my special boast so that the power of Christ may stay over me... For it is when I am weak that I am strong. 2Cor.12:9,10

Saint Paul is writing to the Church of Corinth and has outlined his own authenticity in the Christian life. He confesses to a "thorn in the flesh" which he says the Lord has not lifted from him to keep him humble. It is the genius of Paul that he then turns that weakness into the very source of his strength, that it causes the power of Christ to stay over him. Paul's weakness becomes his strength.

As a truly stumbling follower of Christ, this is good news for me. When I fall I am tempted to stay away from Christ to hide my shame. But that only gives power to the shame. When I do the opposite and press into Jesus with my shame exposed, it withers and dies, loosing its power over me. Truly, when I am weak I am strong.

This reminds of of Rembrandt's stunning painting of the prodigal Son. The ragged son's fall is obvious, yet the father embraces him with his love none the less. You just know that the son is on the path to healing and regained strength, all because he stopped hiding his weakness and threw himself into his loving father's arms. There's an ache in me to do the same...

Lord Jesus, you know my thorns of the flesh. I press into You as my only hope of a way back to the Father. May Your power stay over me to make me strong in my weakness.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: