Thursday, June 16, 2011

Forgive

‘Yes, if you forgive others their failings, your heavenly Father will forgive you yours; but if you do not forgive others, your Father will not forgive your failings either.’
Mt.6:14,15

Jesus, in the Sermon on the Mount, has just given the Church the model on how to pray; the Our Father. He immediately zeros in on the forgiveness verse; "And forgive us our debts, as we have forgiven those who are in debt to us", emphasising the importance of forgiveness.

At first read this verse appears to make God appear fickle, not constant or loyal in His affections to me. But, I know the nature of God is love. So Love is telling me that I can only be forgiven as much as I forgive, and Love wants to forgive me much. He is drawing me past my human limitations and forcing me to look at the wonderful possibilities He is presenting; freedom from hatred, revenge and bitterness and offering in its place friendship, joy, and peace.

Today I embrace forgiveness as my hallmark of being a follower of The Way. Forgiveness is something we believers do. Why? ...because we have been forgiven much.

Thank you Jesus for the forgiveness You have given me, even though my sins helped nail You to the cross. Help me Lord to be a forgiver of others.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: