Thursday, June 23, 2011

Hear and Do

‘Therefore, everyone who listens to these words of mine and acts on them will be like a sensible man who built his house on rock... But everyone who listens to these words of mine and does not act on them will be like a stupid man who built his house on sand.'
Mt.7:24,26

Jesus is closing His Sermon on the Mount by underscoring the importance of what He has just said.  Hearing them is not enough.  His words must lead to action.

When I look back at what what Jesus has said in the Sermon on the Mount, I tremble.  Turn the other cheek... Love your neighbour... Love your enemy... Give, give and give some more...  Pray secretly and constantly... Don't even think lustful thoughts.  These are all extremely difficult things, yet Jesus lays them before me to pick up.

I need to remember that He promised His yoke is easy and I need to remember He loves me. This call is what makes following Jesus such an adventure.  Wimps need not apply.  It takes guts to hear Jesus' words and then act on them.

O Lord, I tremble at Your call, but with Your promises and with the Holy Spirit's strength... I follow.
Little Flower, Please pray for me.

No comments: