Friday, May 7, 2010

Command to Love



Fifth Week of Easter

What I command you is to love one another.
Jn.15:17

Jesus is giving His final exhortation to His disciples, knowing that His passion and death are imminent. When a man knows he is about to die and his loved ones are around him, the words he gives them are well thought out and important.  Jesus chooses to talk to His followers about love.

A command is not a request.  When a command is issued in the army, soldiers obey that command even if it means placing themselves in extreme danger.  To ignore a command means the soldier is no longer part of the fighting force, he is on the outside. 

Jesus commands me to love.  If I ignore this command I can no longer call myself a follower of the Way, call myself Christian. By making love a command, Jesus is telling me this is essential to being part of God’s Kingdom.  To love is not just a nice thing to do, it’s essential for my own salvation. 

Today, I choose to be a lover.

Lord Jesus, You showed the greatest love by laying you life down for me, your friend.  Fill me with Your love that I may pass it on to others.

Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: