Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Beggar's Friend



Then Jesus spoke, ‘What do you want me to do for you?’ ‘Rabbuni,’ the blind man said to him ‘Master, let me see again.’

Mk.10.51

Jesus and his disciples, together with a large crowd, are leaving the city of Jericho when they encounter Bartmaeus the blind beggar.  His persistent shouting out to Jesus stops them and Jesus calls him over. The rest is history…

I love this story for numerous reasons: 
  • It establishes Jesus’ relationship to beggars;
    …one of spontaneous compassion.
  • It highlights what to do with persistent prayer;
    …never give up.
  • It demonstrates what a simple desperate prayer of faith can do;
    …release the healing power of Jesus.
  • It outlines how to approach Jesus;
    …know what you want, even when it may seem obvious.
      ‘Master, let me see again.’

I relate very easily to beggars, for that in essence is what I am and is how I approach Jesus.  Why? Because it releases His healing compassion into my life. He is the beggar’s friend.

Son of David, Jesus, have pity on me.’
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: