Saturday, December 3, 2022

The Home Straight

Go rather to the lost sheep of the House of Israel. And as you go, proclaim that the kingdom of heaven is close at hand. Cure the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, cast out devils. You received without charge, give without charge.
Mt.10:7,8

Jesus is instructing the twelve before their first mission trip. Even though God's kingdom is close at hand there is still much work to be done.

The home straight of a race is never easy. In fact it is where the most effort is expended. The same is true of these last days. Jesus doesn't intend it to be a cakewalk. The "get ready" of Advent is not just a call for me to brush up for Christ's arrival. It's a call for me to bring as many others as possible with me. 

Lord Jesus, you even called in the Good Thief while nailed to the cross with only minutes left to live. Give me your zeal for souls right to the end. 
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: