Thursday, September 24, 2020

Opportunities

Make us know the shortness of our life that we may gain wisdom of heart.
Ps.89:12
This psalm echoes the first reading from Ecclesiastes where Solomon calls everything on earth a useless vanity. However the psalmist shows a way out of this futile existence. Admit our temporary earthly life and gain wisdom of heart.

Knowing the shortness of my life puts everything in perspective. What is so urgent and important pales when compared to the briefness of my time on this planet. I gain this perspective when I have an eschatological world view, that is, keep one eye firmly fixed on the end of time.  My final destination is not here. This is not my home. My destiny is Judgement Day where I'm counting on Jesus to be my judge and also my advocate.

With this end-of-time perspective, suddenly everything I do today is not a useless vanity. It's an opportunity to build up my case for entry into heaven. This is wisdom of heart I take out into my day.

Thank you Jesus that you give reason and purpose to my day. I place my trust in you.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.







 

No comments: