Saturday, September 5, 2020

Grateful

What do you have that was not given to you? And if it was given, how can you boast as though it were not?
1Cor.4:7
Paul is correcting the Church of Corinth, stopping them from taking up factions, one against the other. All have been given the same Good News, there has been no special revelations from man. Paul is saying if everything I have has been given to me, how can I boast as if it were my own work. 

With something like thirty thousand Christian denominations today, it's fair to say this entreaty from Paul has been forgotten. The unbelieving world looks on and shakes its head. 

The antidote to this prideful delusion is thankfulness. When I am grateful there is no room in me for pride. All that I have has been given to me, even the very breath I draw and beat of my heart is gift. Today my attitude is one of gratitude.

It's a beautiful day and the world is bright 
'cause you took me away from the longest night 
What can I do but give all I have to you

Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.

No comments: