Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Shine a Light

The Son of Man will send his angels and they will gather out of his kingdom all things that provoke offences and all who do evil, and throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and grinding of teeth. Then the virtuous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Listen, anyone who has ears!
Mt.13:41,43

Jesus is explaining the parable of the weeds among the wheat. At the end of time there are only two possibilities for all people... heaven or hell.

We all believe in heaven and want to get there. The possibility of the fire of hell and me providing fuel for it is not quite so attractive. 

Jesus doesn't pussyfoot around this topic to spare my sensibilities. He is very clear that there is a place called hell and many, sadly, will end up there. My job is to make sure I, and as many others as possible, don't fuel its fires.

I have New Age family members who believe in a nirvana into which everyone will simply drift after death. I've even heard this belief within the Church. Where do I start to counter this heresy? I guess shine a light in the opposite direction. Introduce them to love in the person of Jesus. He has promised if I lift him up he will draw all to himself, even my New Age family members. 

Saint Alphonsus de' Liguori, please pray for us.


No comments: