Thursday, August 17, 2023

Forgive Outrageously

I cancelled all that debt of yours when you appealed to me. Were you not bound, then, to have pity on your fellow servant just as I had pity on you?
Mt.18:32,33

Jesus is answering Peter's question on how many times we must forgive. Peter thinks he is being generous  with suggesting seven times and I would agree. Jesus shockingly ups the ante. We should never stop forgiving.

This is another facet of the amazing grace of God over which Jesus keeps circling back. Why so much emphasis on grace, mercy and forgiveness? Because we're so bad at it. 

I like to think I'm a forgiving sort of chap, but I'm not. I love the black and white of the law. I love to see perpetrators suffer in their repayment. There's nothing much outrageous about my grace. Jesus expects better of me. As CS Lewis said, "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you."

Jesus, help me to let go of resentments and to forgive outrageously.
Saint Stephen, please pray for me.


No comments: