Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Treasure

The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field...
Mt.13:44

Jesus is using parables to describe the indescribable value of heaven, not only of heaven but of God who resides there.

With both the treasure found in a field and the pearl of great price, the finders sold everything they had to obtain them. The treasure and the pearl were seen as worth much more than what the finders already had. 

I recall the time before I was Christian when I thought I had it all. It was only after meeting Jesus that I realised how tiny and poverty stricken my hedonistic world was. The seduction of the world had blinkered me. 

How do I stop sliding back into that tiny self centered space? A start is getting my gaze off the reconstituted dust of counterfeit sparkling trinkets and back onto the treasure. And where is the treasure found? Good places to start looking are in the sacraments, in my daily prayer time, in fellow believers. In truth, the treasure can be found anywhere.

Thank you Jesus for revealing yourself to me today. I keep my eyes on you.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: