Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Stumbling Follower

Then Peter spoke. ‘What about us?’ he said to him ‘We have left everything and followed you. What are we to have, then?’ 
Mt.19:27

Following on from the rich young man walking sadly away, Jesus teaches how difficult it is for us to let go of material things in order to follow him. Peter expresses all our concerns. What about us getting into the kingdom? Is it impossible?

Jesus assures Peter, and me, that the kingdom of God is attainable to all who follow him. It just won't be in the order we are used to. The first will be last and the last first. My focus is to simply keep on following. Yes, I will stumble. But the getting back up and doggedly following will result in what at first appeared impossible, my walking through the very gates of heaven. 

Saint Peter, the first stumbling follower, please pray for me.



No comments: