Tuesday, April 14, 2020

What's in a Name

Jesus said, ‘Mary!’ She knew him then...
Jn.20:16

Mary Magdalene is weeping outside the tomb of Jesus when the resurrected Jesus appears. Thinking he is a gardener, Mary asks where he has taken Jesus so she may claim him. Jesus calls Mary by her name and instantly she recognises him.

Mary's name is second only to Peter in the number of times it appears in the Gospels. Her great love for Jesus is recorded in detail. Here, her name is key to her recognising the one whom she loves. Jesus speaks her name and she sees him.

This tells me of Jesus' desire for intimacy. He wants me and him to be on first name terms. This naturally comes about through spending time, hanging out together, aye Jesus...

Jesus, you are faithful, waiting for me each morning to open the door and let you in. Come Lord Jesus, welcome into my day.
Little Flower, please pray for me.





No comments: