Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Forgiveness and Mercy

Peter said, I will lay down my life for you.’ ‘Lay down your life for me?’ answered Jesus. ‘I tell you most solemnly, before the cock crows you will have disowned me three times.’ 
Jn.13:38 

Judas has just  left the Last Supper to betray Jesus. Jesus tells the remaining disciples where is he is going they cannot come, yet. Peter hotly protests that he follow Jesus where ever he goes. Jesus foretells Peter's impending denial.

Each Holy Week I am amazed at how much detail the Gospels record of Jesus' passion and death. It proves their authenticity, that what the world judges as an abject failure the Gospel writers are at pains to detail.

Peter's frail humanity is exposed over the next few days. The boasting hothead becomes a trembling coward, afraid even of a servant girl's accusations. This why I can identify so easily with him. If I was in this scene, I would be Peter.

The good news is that Peter the sand pile becomes Peter the Rock. The pivotal point that causes this transformation is even before Pentecost. It's when the resurrected Jesus meets Peter on the beach and Peter experiences Jesus' forgiveness and mercy.

I need to again and again experience Jesus' forgiveness and mercy.

Jesus, your forgiveness of my broken sinfulness is so wonderful it's hard for me to fully appreciate. Help me to be forgiving and merciful to the people I encounter today, for your glory.
Little Flower, pray for me.

No comments: