Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Not I Lord, Surely?

‘I tell you solemnly, one of you is about to betray me.’ They were greatly distressed and started asking him in turn, ‘Not I, Lord, surely?’Mt.26:21,22
Jesus and the disciples are in the upper room starting what was to become the last supper. Jesus declares that one of them is about to betray him. All, including Judas, protest and declare, "Not I, surely?"

Judas was to betray Jesus fatally, all the remaining disciples were to betray him physically. God the Father was to abandon him spiritually. For the first time Jesus was to become totally alone. I have contributed to his abandonment and betrayal each time I have sinned... and I have sinned much.

Not I, surely? Denial comes naturally, yet the fact remains. What do I do with this? Declare, "Lord with your help I will try not to sin again" and then reach out my hand to his and allow him to help me back up. I may get knocked down but with his help I get back up again.

Lord Jesus I am a sinful man. I have helped drive the nails into your hands and feet. I can't even pretend I didn't know what I was doing. Forgive me Lord.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: