Thursday, April 9, 2020

Active Love

‘Do you understand’ he said ‘what I have done to you? You call me Master and Lord, and rightly; so I am. If I, then, the Lord and Master, have washed your feet, you should wash each other’s feet. I have given you an example so that you may copy what I have done to you.’
Jn.13:12-15

The Last Supper is in progress and Judas has left to commit his betrayal when Jesus unexpectedly gets up and washes the disciples feet. Peter protests but Jesus insists so he can give a example of Servant Kingship.

When a man knows he is about to die, his last words are what he wants to be remembered by. Jesus chose something more powerful than words, he chose action. His washing the disciples feet has been the foundational tenet of the Church ever since.

The image Jesus presents is love in action, which is the only kind of love worth having.

Jesus, help me be an active lover today.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: