Thursday, February 6, 2020

Show Yourself a Man

As David’s life drew to its close he laid this charge on his son Solomon, ‘I am going the way of all the earth. Be strong and show yourself a man.'
1Kgs.2:1

King David is dieing after a long reign. He passes his kingship onto his son Solomon with the command, "show yourself a man".

Is there any greater charge a father can lay on his son? To be a man, in the fullest sense of the word, is to show courage, be faithful, work hard, be a leader and protector, love generously, act mercifully.

These are all characteristics of Jesus, the perfect man. "Behold the man" said Pilot and humanity has been beholding him ever since. What kind of man am I? Today I choose to show myself a man.

Jesus, sometimes I'm more a mouse than a man. Help me show myself your man today. 
Saint Thomas Moore, please pray for me.

No comments: