Tuesday, February 11, 2020

A Right Heart

This people honours me only with lip-service, while their hearts are far from me.
Mk.7.6
Jesus is quoting Isaiah in his rebuke of the Pharisees. He says their traditions actually contradict God's Law for the sake of appearance while their hearts are far from God.

Traditions can so easily move from drawing me nearer to God to placing an obstacle between me and God. Our Church is rich in liturgy, in tradition but I have experienced it becoming obsessive and polarising.

What is the safeguard? My heart. Is my heart near or far from Jesus? This what determines whether tradition is honouring or alienating.

Jesus, the vagaries my heart you know so well. I want a steadfast heart, a right spirit today so all I do will honour you.
Little Flower, please pray for me.





No comments: