Friday, November 8, 2019

Gracious

‘The master praised the dishonest steward for his astuteness. For the children of this world are more astute in dealing with their own kind than are the children of light.’Lk.16:8

Jesus is telling a parable about the dishonest steward to his disciples. The craftiness of the steward in winning friends while he could is held as an example of how we can do the same before meeting judgement in eternity.

I think today's Gospel stops one verse too soon and leaves us puzzling. Verse 9 has Jesus saying, " I tell you, use worldly wealth to gain friends for yourselves, so that when it is gone, you will be welcomed into eternal dwellings". There is the key to understanding the parable.

When I look at the steward's behavior, it was gracious. He gave relief from debt when it was undeserved and unexpected. This is the point of the parable I believe and why it is held up as a role model for me by Jesus. When I act with such grace towards people now it will be held in my favour in heaven.

Jesus, grace is easy to say but hard to do. It seems so unfair. But Lord, you have been so gracious to me. Help me remember this when I am being called to be gracious to others.
Little Flower, please pray for me.


No comments: