Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Come down out of your Tree

When Jesus reached the spot he looked up and spoke to him: ‘Zacchaeus, come down. Hurry, because I must stay at your house today.’ And he hurried down and welcomed him joyfully.Lk.19:5,6

Zacchaeus the tax collector climbs a tree to see over the crowd and observe Jesus. Jesus singles Zacchaeus out and invites himself into his home. Zacchaeus ignores the indignation of the crowd and joyfully receives Jesus into his home.

There's something very human about this event that attracts me. Zacchaeus' short comings, literal and otherwise, are not glossed over. He doesn't deny anything the crowd accuses him of. All he does is joyfully receive Jesus and then has a powerful conversion. That's how grace works.

I'm a bit of a "tree climber". I try and reach Jesus by my own efforts. "Hey Mike!" says Jesus. "Come down out of your tree. I'm staying with you today". I'm picked out from the crowd. I don't have to strive, just be real... with all my shortcomings. That's how grace works. Amazing!

Jesus, I welcome you into my day. Thank you for accepting me just as I am, warts and all. You are my hope and my joy.
Zacchaeus, pray for me.





No comments: