Friday, November 22, 2019

Stay Awake

Feast of Saint Cecilia, Virgin, Martyr
Lord, Lord,” they said “open the door for us.” But he replied, “I tell you solemnly, I do not know you.” So stay awake, because you do not know either the day or the hour.’Mt.25:13

Jesus tells the parable of the five wise and five foolish bridesmaids. The wise are allowed entry into the banquet while the foolish are late from needing to first replenish oil for their lamps and are denied entry.

Is there any more tragic scene than bridesmaids standing outside of the banquet they are meant to be attending crying "Lord, Lord...". The foolish bridesmaids had everything required of them in the end but their tardiness resulted in being left outside as though they had nothing. Jesus underscores the point of this story with the words, "So stay awake, because you do not know either the day or the hour."

The day and hour for me could be today. God alone knows. This morning prayer time helps keep my lamp full.

Jesus, one day I am going to meet you face to face. Send me your Spirit that my lamp may always be full in readiness for your arrival.
Saint Cecilia, please pray for me.


No comments: