Sunday, November 17, 2019

Death, where is your sting?

But for you who fear my name, the sun of righteousness will shine out with healing in its rays.Mal.3:20

The prophet Malachi foretells the end of time when judgement will come, the wicked being burnt up and the righteous gaining eternal life.

Today I attend the funeral of a friend who has died of cancer. We prayed for his healing. His passing seems a disaster. He had faith in Jesus and the hope of glory. Today's reading from Malachi promises that healing has come for my friend, just not in the order we were asking for.

The hole in the ground is not the end of my friend's story. In fact it is just the beginning, his life to this point only being the title page.

Lord Jesus, thank you for the promise of eternal life for those who fear your name. Lord, I pray for this assurance to be a source of peace for the family grieving today.

No comments: