Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Timing

The Lord answered: ‘Martha, Martha,’ he said ‘you worry and fret about so many things, and yet few are needed, indeed only one. It is Mary who has chosen the better part; it is not to be taken from her.’
Lk10:41,42

Jesus arrives for the first time at Mary and Martha's home. Martha serves while Mary sits. Martha's indignance at her sister causes Jesus to highlight the better response to him. Sitting at his feet and listening to him.

The two sisters fall into what is their natural personalities. Martha is a server, Mary is a worshiper. I remember the Donut Man's explanation for children about this. "Martha did the right thing but at the wrong time". For all of us there is a time to serve and a time to worship. The trick is to get the timing right.

Service at the wrong time turns into worry and fret. Done from a worship-filled heart service becomes a joy, in fact an act of worship in itself. I'm sitting at the Lord's feet at this very moment in this prayer time. Service will no doubt come in my day and I will be able to do it joyfully.

Lord, help me recognise worry and fret as signs that I need to listen to you, worship you. Then peace and joy will empower my service.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: