Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Last First

‘Many who are first will be last, and the last first.’
Mk.10:31

The rich young man has just walked away dejected at the standard Jesus has set for him to be a follower; "Give all your money to the poor, then come follow me" Mk.10:21.  The disciples are stunned at Jesus's warning on riches being an obstacle to flowing God.  Jesus then clarifies the statement, saying the deprivation and persecutions of disciples in this world will be more than compensated in the next. This life and the next life are counter-posed.  Those poor here will be rich there.  Those humbled here will be exalted there.  Those last here will be first there.

This teaching of Jesus gives me the answer to why injustice seems to triumph in the world.  Seen from an eternal perspective, the suffering and loss of this life is not the end of the story.  God's justice will prevail where and when it matters; in eternal life.  What a great promise for me today, no matter what happens.

Thank you Jesus for Your promises.  I place my trust in You.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: