Tuesday, June 5, 2012

God's First

‘Why do you set this trap for me? Hand me a denarius and let me see it.’ They handed him one and he said, ‘Whose head is this? Whose name?’ ‘Caesar’s’ they told him. Jesus said to them, ‘Give back to Caesar what belongs to Caesar – and to God what belongs to God.’ This reply took them completely by surprise.
Mk.12:15-17

Jesus has been set a trick question by the Scribes and Pharisees to try and discredit him.  Jesus identifies their hypocrisy and steps over their trap, giving a truth to live by in the process.  We are to pay our dues to the world and to God.

There is a tension created when I recognise I am living in the world but trying to follow God.  The "Caesars" of the world can be tyrants and despots busy creating anything but the Kingdom of God.  Yet Jesus recognises my dilemma, saying it is not being disloyal to him by paying my dues to the world.  I am in the world but not of it as long as I also pay my dues to God.  As Saint Thomas Moore famously said before his execution by Henry the Eighth, "I am the King's good servant but God's first".

Lord Jesus, I want to be an honourable and authentic witness for You today.  Help me always put You first as I be a good servant today.
Saint Thomas Moore, please pray for me.

No comments: