Friday, May 25, 2012

Love with no Limits


Then he said to him a third time, ‘Simon son of John, do you love me?’ Peter was upset that he asked him the third time, ‘Do you love me?’ and said, ‘Lord, you know everything; you know I love you.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Feed my sheep.
Jn.21:17

The resurrected Jesus meets with the disciples and serves them cooked food, the universal act of friendship.  Jesus then asks Peter three times if he loves Him, responding each time with an instruction to shepherd the fledgling Church.

The disciples, and especially Peter, would be feeling the guilt of their betrayal of Jesus.  Jesus' response is to love them.  Peter, whose betrayal is recorded with most detail in the Gospels, is handed the role of "Good Shepherd" that Jesus himself had previously held.

This is Good News for me.  No betrayal can stand between a repentant heart and the love of Jesus.  His mercy for me knows no bounds.  All I need do is lift my head and receive that love ...today.

Lord Jesus, You know my betrayal. You know my fickle love. You knew all this from the beginning yet You have always loved me.  Thank you Lord.  I accept Your love.  Help me love others the same unconditional way.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: