Saturday, September 24, 2011

Strength in Weakness

At a time when everyone was full of admiration for all he did, Jesus said to his disciples, ‘For your part, you must have these words constantly in your mind: The Son of Man is going to be handed over into the power of men.’
Lk.9:43,44


To the disciples consternation Jesus, while at the height of His popularity, starts talking about being handed over to those seeking to destroy Him.  His disciples are expecting Jesus to fulfill the role of a Jewish Messiah, one who will restore power back to the Jewish people as King David did.   The power of Jesus works in a very different way, through meekness, humility and weakness.

I'm still tempted by the world's version of power.  The way of Jesus is far more difficult. Meekness and humility do not come naturally to me. Yet, that is the way Jesus calls me to live.  Why?  I suspect because that is the way to the fullness of life Jesus promises.  It is a narrow path and few take it.  My challenge is to take the path,  today...

Lord Jesus, You know my struggles with power and control.  Help me trust in the way of meekness and surrender that you have shown.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: