Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Fatherhood

The president must have an impeccable character... He must be a man who manages his own family well and brings his children up to obey him and be well-behaved: how can any man who does not understand how to manage his own family have responsibility for the church of God?
1Tim.3:2,4,5


Saint Paul is instructing Timothy on what moral qualities leaders should have in the fledgling church.  For both presidents and deacons, how a man managed of his family said a lot about his character.

It appears that for God, a man's management of his family is an important and exacting role.  I am reminded of Eli, one of the last Judges of Israel.  He exercised no control over his two wicked sons and as a result brought a curse down on his family (1 Samuel 2:12).  Four of my five children are now adult and yet I still exert an influence in their lives and have responsibilities.

I need wisdom to be a Godly father.  My wife is a huge aid to me in this role and I need to listen to her more attentively.

Father in heaven.  Thank you for the children you have given me to father.  Send me the spirit of wisdom to help me fulfill this role.  Help me listen to my wife and be humble enough to take her advice.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: