Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Exaltation of the Holy Cross

Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross  
The Son of Man must be lifted up as Moses lifted up the serpent in the desert, so that everyone who believes may have eternal life in him.
Jn.3:14,15


Jesus is talking to Nicodemus who has come secretly in the night to ask Jesus questions.  Jesus must have recognised a genuine soul seeking honest answers because He gives Nicodemus the full game-plan, a revelation of God's plan of salvation for man through Jesus.

The bronze standard holding a serpent as fashioned by Moses has become a symbol of life and is used by the medical profession to represent its purpose.  It seems strange that something that caused so much death among the Israelites in the desert became a source of life when they looked at it.  The same can be said of Jesus crucified on the cross.  A more horrible way to die is difficult to imagine and yet there it is, a crucifix on my lounge wall in my home giving so much hope for eternal life when I look at it.

The blood Jesus shed on the cross has won a mighty victory over sin and death.  This victory is even greater than that offered by the bronze serpent of Moses.  Jesus' death is for all people of all times.  I claim that victory again today for myself and my loved ones.  Such is the power of the Cross.

Lord Jesus, thank you that you died so that I might live.  I place my trust in the victory of Your Cross.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: