Friday, July 22, 2011

Understanding

'When anyone hears the word of the kingdom without understanding, the evil one comes and carries off what was sown in his heart... the man who hears the word and understands it; he is the one who yields a harvest and produces now a hundredfold, now sixty, now thirty.’
Mt.13:19,23

Jesus is teaching His disciples on the meaning of the parable of the sower.  Jesus gives much attention to this parable, highlighting the importance of what it teaches.  Jesus is saying hearing the word of God is not enough, it must also be understood.

I am reminded of an event a number of years ago.  While mowing our front lawn one Saturday morning a car speeds up and stops outside our home.  A young man I know leaps out and runs up to me shouting, "I've just become a Christian!".  There's a huge expression of joy on his face.  I share in his new found joy and excitement and he drives off.  Nine months later I learn he's no longer attending church and is away from home living with his girl friend.  What was sown in his heart had been carried off.  I take some blame for that as I never helped that young man understand the word from God that he had received.

I always thought the heart was a sacred place where nothing could be stolen.  Jesus says no, the devil can steal even what is held close to my heart.  The protection against that happening is understanding.  Today's Psalm says the word of God "gives wisdom to the simple" Ps.19:7.  This is good news for me indeed as I am no scholarly theologian. So, I recommit myself to daily receiving of God's Word, seeking understanding with a simple heart.

Lord Jesus, I pray for understanding as I receive Your Word.  Holy Spirit, please give me the simple wisdom Your inspired word promises.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: