Sunday, July 3, 2011

Possess the Spirit

Your interests are not in the unspiritual, but in the spiritual, since the Spirit of God has made his home in you. In fact, unless you possessed the Spirit of Christ you would not belong to him...
Rms.8:9


In the Book of Romans, Paul writes to the Believers in Rome to give encouragement and assurance in all that God has freely given them.  In today's reading from Romans Chapter 8 Paul focuses on the importance of the Spirit of God in our lives.  In fact, without the Holy Spirit we cannot even say we belong to Christ.

The Holy Spirit in many ways is the "forgotten God".  He is wheeled out briefly at Pentecost and then safely put away again.  Yes, He is mentioned in all the sacramental rites but He's not the personality of God that most people relate to. 

Where do I place the Holy Spirit in my faith walk?  I think of myself as charismatic but does the Holy Spirit play a role in my daily life as a believer? I think not as much as I should allow Him.  If this is so, how much do I really belong to Christ?  My physical world creates a spiritual haze.  My interests need to focus more on the spiritual.  Then, as Paul writes, I will live.

Come Holy Spirit, fall afresh on me.
Fill me with your power, satisfy my needs.
Only You can make me whole,

give me strength and make me grow.
Come Holy Spirit, fall afresh on me.

Little Flower, please pray for me.



No comments: