Friday, July 15, 2011

Mercy Not Sacrifice

'And if you had understood the meaning of the words: What I want is mercy, not sacrifice, you would not have condemned the blameless. For the Son of Man is master of the sabbath.’
Mt.12:8

The Pharisees have accused Jesus' disciples of breaking the Sabbath by eating ears of corn in the field.  The experts in the Law again missed Mercy when they met Him.

I would have made an excellent Pharisee.  I feel in control with laws.  They are very well defined and appeal to my judgemental nature.  They also make me feel good when I measure them against others and see that others fail to meet their standards.  The problem is, deep within me I know that I fail as well.  Mercy is my only hope.  I need to understand the words "What I want is mercy, not sacrifice".

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me a sinner.  Give me a merciful heart to those I met today.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: