Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A Sun Shiner

Well then, just as the darnel is gathered up and burnt in the fire, so it will be at the end of time. The Son of Man will send his angels and they will gather out of his kingdom all things that provoke offenses and all who do evil, and throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and grinding of teeth. Then the virtuous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Listen, anyone who has ears!’
Mt.13:40-43

Jesus has just explained the parable of the weeds to His disciples. His point is that there is going to be a judgement day at the end of time where good and evil are separated and sent to their respective destinations, heaven or hell.

Jesus repeatedly teaches on the two destinations for all mankind, heaven and hell, yet it would be one of the most ignored truths of the Bible.  Popular thinking both inside and outside of the Church is that the road to heaven is wide and easy and everyone is going to get there.  In fact, Jesus says the opposite (Matthew 7:13)

An eschatological worldview gives rise to good questions.  Where do I want  myself and my loved ones to be at the end of time?  Why is it imperative that I spread the Good News of what Jesus has done for us?  Why be a Christian at all?  Jesus answers these today with the clear image of people weeping and grinding their teeth or shining like the sun.  Today I recommit myself to becoming a sun-shiner.

Lord Jesus, help me have ears to listen.  I recommit myself to Your crazy offer of undeserved grace, that I may spend eternity shining like the sun with You.

No comments: