Saturday, July 2, 2011

Lord of The New

'Nor do people put new wine into old wineskins; if they do, the skins burst, the wine runs out, and the skins are lost. No; they put new wine into fresh skins and both are preserved.’
Mt.9:17


John's disciples are trying to understand the new thing Jesus was doing.  "Why do you not fast when we and everyone else does?"  Jesus explains that you do mix the old and the new, the old cloth with a new patch, the new wine in an old wineskin, or both will be ruined. The new demands new ways of doing things.

Jesus doesn't say throw away the old, He simply says do not mix the two. I find the old comforting and the new challenging in a scary sort of way. It's always easier to stay where I am and not push the boundaries. My wife and I are presently embarking on a new business venture.  It involves major changes in our home and in our financial status (read bigger mortgage).  It's scary, but it seems right.  I am reminded by this scripture that new is OK.  That in fact new is good. Scary, yes, but good.

Lord Jesus, You always embraced the new, You embodied the new.  You are Lord of the new.  Give me the courage to step out, to step up to the new You are always calling me to.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: