Friday, July 8, 2011

Sheep among Wolves

Jesus instructed the Twelve as follows: ‘Remember, I am sending you out like sheep among wolves; so be cunning as serpents and yet as harmless as doves.
Mt.10:16


Jesus is commissioning the twelve disciples before their first missionary trip.  He promises them persecution, hardship, arrest and floggings.  There was no payback promised in this life but certainly the promise of an eternal reward.

The "conditions of employment" haven't changed.  If am preaching an authentic Gospel I will be persecuted.  That is the nature of the battle against the Prince of the World we Christians are engaged in.   It follows that if my life seems a little comfortable and uneventful I must ask myself, am I preaching the Gospel?

Lord Jesus, You tell me   "do not be afraid ", but it is a fearful thing to stand up for You in my world. Send me Your Spirit so I may have the courage to be an authentic witness for You.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: