Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Look and Live

So Moses fashioned a bronze serpent which he put on a standard, and if anyone was bitten by a serpent, he looked at the bronze serpent and lived.
Nm.21:9


The Israelites are in the desert escaping from the Egyptians and doing what they did best... complaining.  God responds with fiery serpents, bringing the people to repentance.  God then does what He does best.. provides a life-line.   It's no accident that the medical profession has adopted the serpent on a standard as their symbol.  Anyone who is sick and looks at the standard will be healed. The serpent on the standard is also a prefiguring of Jesus on the cross. In today's Gospel Jesus says "When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am He".

This is God's life-line to me. When I look to His Son lifted up on the cross I see not only Jesus' death and what that has bought me, but I see His resurrection and what that promises me... eternal life. 

Lord Jesus, I look to You for fullness of life.  You are my way, my truth and my life.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: