Saturday, July 22, 2023

She Knew Him

Jesus said, ‘Mary!’ She knew him then and said to him in Hebrew, ‘Rabbuni!’ – which means Master. 
Jn.20:16

Mary Magdalen is the first person to experience Easter as she meets the risen Jesus outside the tomb. She is taken from Good Friday to Easter Sunday by the calling of her name. 

To my mind, the first reading from the Song of Songs is a natural choice for the feast day of Saint Mary Magdalen. It starts describing a very physical, sexual love. Eros. It ends with a deeper, more profound heart-love. Agape. I picture Mary's relationship with Jesus moving through these stages (Gospel according to Mike). 

In today's Gospel, Mary's agape love for Jesus is consummated by the calling of her name. This fulfilled relationship with Jesus is available to every Christian believer... is available to me. My name is being called by the one whom my heart loves. 

Thank you Jesus for calling my name. I place my love before you.
Saint Mary Magdalen, please pray for me.


No comments: