Friday, July 28, 2023

Noble and Generous Heart

And the one who received the seed in rich soil is the man who hears the word and understands it; he is the one who yields a harvest and produces now a hundredfold, now sixty, now thirty.
Mt.13:23

Jesus unpacks his parable of the sower. The good soil represents the man in whom the seed of God's word is most fruitful.

We all want to be the good soil in the parable. Maybe, in our pride, we secretly think we are already good soil. The synoptic Gospel passage in Luke 8:15 has Jesus describing the good soil as people "with a noble and generous heart". 

I find this a good litmus test of my thoughts/words/deeds. Is what I have thought/said/done either noble or generous? If not, it's time for the Confessional (again). 

Jesus, help me uproot what prevents me having a noble and generous heart today.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: