Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Character

‘Happy are your eyes because they see, your ears because they hear! I tell you solemnly, many prophets and holy men longed to see what you see, and never saw it; to hear what you hear, and never heard it.’
Mt.13:16,17

Mother Church has chosen these verses for the feast of Saints Joachim and Anne, the parents of Mamma Mary and the grandparents of Jesus. What did they see and hear? They saw the infant Jesus and they heard his cry. The saw and heard love.

There's no mention of Joachim and Anne in the Bible. All we know is that Mary would have had parents and they most likely would have seen and heard their grandson Jesus. We also see their character, reflected in their daughter Mary, a character fine enough to be chosen as the Mother of God. 

What character have I given to be reflected in my five children and my sixteen (so far) grandchildren? 

Jesus, help me be an inspiration of love and devotion to you for my family.
Saints Joachim and Anne, please pray for me.


No comments: