Thursday, July 20, 2023

Rest

Jesus said, ‘Come to me, all you who labour and are overburdened, and I will give you rest. Shoulder my yoke and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. Yes, my yoke is easy and my burden light.’
Mt.11:28-30

Jesus gives an irresistible invitation. Give me your burdens and I will give you rest.

Who among us has never felt overburdened, felt in need of rest? Being fully human, Jesus knew exhaustion, he knew rest. His yoke is one of gentleness and humility. 

When I am gentle, when I am humble I am inevitably rested.  The opposite is also true. When I am harsh, when I am proud, these take constant energy and I end up exhausted. It is said more muscles are engaged in a frown than in a smile.

Lord Jesus, help me be gentle and humble today.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: