Thursday, July 27, 2023

Faith and Reason

The disciples went up to Jesus and asked, ‘Why do you talk to them in parables?’ ‘Because’ he replied, ‘the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven are revealed to you, but they are not revealed to them.
Mt.13:10,11

Why does Jesus speak in parables? Because there is a mystery to what he teaches and parables engage faith and reason to present the truth.

I recall wanting to understand everything about Christianity before becoming Christian. That was a stumbling block. It wasn't until I chose to step out in faith (scary) that I came to understand. That's the workings of a mystery. 

Faith keeps the fire of my first love burning hot. Reason draws me further up and further in. I need both for as long as I am in this mortal coil. I'll need neither when I meet Jesus face to face in heaven.

Thank you Jesus for presenting your mysteries so I can look and see, hear and understand. 
Saint Thomas Aquinas, please pray for me.

 


No comments: