Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Travel Light

Someone said to him, ‘Sir, will there be only a few saved?’ He said to them, ‘Try your best to enter by the narrow door, because, I tell you, many will try to enter and will not succeed."
Lk.13:23,24

Jesus warns that the way to God's Kingdom is not wide and easy but requires letting go of much baggage.

My darling wife insisted on a massive suitcase when we travelled around Italy and France. Of course, I always ended up handing over my modest 10 kg bag to her while I wrestled her behemoth on and off trains. The most difficult part of the task was always the narrow doors.

The lesson in today's Gospel for me is, travel light. I remember a joke about the wealthy man who, when he died, brought sacks of money with him. Saint Peter and the pearly gates spys the bags of money and says, "Oh... goody. We'll be able to use that to... um... play Monopoly". 

The point is, baggage from this world restricts my movement into God's Kingdom. Travel light...

Jesus, I tend to grab and horde. Help me open my grasping hands and let go... and travel light.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.

No comments: