Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Never Die

‘I am the resurrection and the life. If anyone believes in me, even though he dies he will live, and whoever lives and believes in me will never die.'
 Jn.11:25,26
Jesus has arrived at the tomb of Lazarus and Martha meets him, lamenting that if he had been earlier Lazarus would still be alive. Jesus then reveals his greatest victory over the devil, victory over death.

I spoke to a friend last night whose mother has just died. He is an atheist and his only solace was to drink a bottle of wine. For him he had lost his mother for ever. It struck me what a dark, hopeless and lonely place he was in.

Alleluia that the truth of Jesus is so very different. The death of my mother-in-law a few months ago was so very different for those of us who believe, as she did, that Jesus has conquered death. Yes there were tears but underneath a great joy that heaven was now her home and we have every hope of seeing her again.

Jesus, you are the resurrection and the life. Help me present this truth to my friend and to all who don't yet know of your greatest victory.
Saint Martha, please pray for me.

No comments: