Friday, July 17, 2020

What I want is Mercy

If you had understood the meaning of the words: "What I want is mercy, not sacrifice", you would not have condemned the blameless. For the Son of Man is master of the sabbath.
Mt.12:7,8
Jesus is answering the Pharisees who have accused his followers of breaking the Law by picking and eating corn on the Sabbath. The Spirit of  Mercy confronts the Spirit of the Law.

This battle between Law and Mercy continues to this day, both outside and inside the Church, inside of me. The Law is black and white, neat and tidy, doesn't require much effort, focuses on the sin, dispenses objective justice. In other words it appeals to my flesh.

Mercy is deliberately grey, demands walking a mile in another's moccasins, requires effort, is messy, calls for investment, ignores the demands of justice, focuses on the sinner, is contrary to the flesh. In other words it is outrageous.

 Without mercy I am a lost cause without hope. With mercy every morning new mercies I see. I have a life of hope and joy. Thank God that mercy triumphs over judgement.

Thank you Jesus for your championship for mercy. Help me be your agent of mercy today.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: