Friday, July 3, 2020

Encounter Him and Believe

Thomas replied, ‘My Lord and my God!’ Jesus said to him: ‘You believe because you can see me. Happy are those who have not seen and yet believe.’Jn.20:28,29

Saint Thomas, Apostle 

Thomas a week earlier had declared he refused to believe. Now he encounters the risen Jesus and makes the greatest faith declaration of who Jesus is... Lord and God.

Encountering Jesus is the key to overcoming unbelief. It was true for me and I've seen it happen to others. This encourages me as our parish prepares for hosting an Alpha Course. At its core Alpha is about creating space where people can encounter Jesus, experience his love. What was previously so hard to believe becomes simply a natural, irresistible response. "My Lord and my God!" Then as Jesus says, happiness follows.

Jesus, my Lord and my God. You are the source of my peace and my joy. Help me draw others into your love that joy may be theirs as well.
Saint Thomas, please pray for me.

No comments: