Saturday, July 11, 2020

Happy the Humble

Alleluia, alleluia! Happy the poor in spirit: the kingdom of heaven is theirs! Alleluia! 
Gospel Acclamation Mt.5:3

Today is the feast Day for Saint Benedict, the founder of monastic orders and some would say the founder of modern western civilisation.

The Gospel Acclamation is the first of the Beatitudes Jesus gave when starting his Sermon on the Mount. It's important but can be puzzling. Billy Graham said replace the word "poor" with "humble" and you will begin to understand.

Humility was an founding principle in Saint Benedict's Rule and continues to be foundational in Christian life. Truly, there cannot be a proud Christian. Pride is the root vice of all other sins.

Jesus promises an inconceivable treasure when I practice a poorness of spirit, the kingdom of heaven. Pride robs me of my royal inheritance. Humility guarantees me it.

Jesus, you know my struggle with pride. Even when working for you it rises up and steals glory that is rightfully yours. I surrender again my vain-glory and embrace poorness of spirit and the joy it brings.
Saint Benedict, please pray for me.



No comments: