Friday, May 20, 2011

The Way

Jesus said to him, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Jesus knows He is about to suffer and die.  He speaks plainly to His disciples in the upper room. After washing the disciple's feet He then says the only way to the Father is by following His (Jesus') example.

This is another view of the "Great Divide".  What Jesus says here flys in the face of the thinking that says "being good is good enough".  Jesus is emphatic; "No one comes to the Father except through me".  This is why good people don't get to heaven, only forgiven people do.

This is the stumbling block for the non-believing members of my extended family.  In their minds they don't need to be forgiven, so they have nothing to be saved from, so they don't need a saviour, so they don't need Jesus and so ultimately they don't need God.  It is Satan's great deception, second only to his lie that he, Satan, doesn't exist.

So what is my response to this statement of Jesus?  Firstly to acknowledge that Jesus is my way. Secondly to bare authentic witness to this truth, especially to my extended family, which is the hardest mission field of all.

Lord Jesus, You are my Way, You are my Truth, You are my Life.  Help me bring my non-believing family members to a place where they bend the knee and acknowledge You as their Lord.

No comments: